VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2011

Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:37:11 -0700
I have been informed that there is an auction of an item used by Ambrose Lewis, one of my Revolutionary War Ancestors. I am hoping that my family and I will get together and purchase this valuable item. If not I hope that the Virginia Historical Museum will take an interest in it. Ambrose and Charles Lewis served as Seamen and Foot Soldiers. The brothers served as Seamen along the Rappahannock in Fredricksburg, before signing on as Soldiers. They fought at the Battle of Camden, where Ambrose was captured and taken aboard a British Prison Ship. After the British defeat, Ambrose was released and returned to Fredricksburg, where he lived to be well into his eighties. From what I have read about Ambrose he was one of those rugged individuals, who hustled to make a living. He was a draymen and worked the remaining years of his life on ships in Fredricksburg. I am adding a link to the Auction Site below. It also has a good bit of history and information about
 Ambrose Lewis.

Anita Wills

Auction Site

 18th Century Naval Boarding Ax

Mary and Patty Bowden Foundation

Anita Talks Genealogy - Blog Talk Radio

"If you believe people have no history worth mentioning, it's easy to believe they have no humanity worth defending."
— William Loren Katz
June 18, 2009