VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2007

From:
SUSAN A CRAIG <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
SUSAN A CRAIG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:00:34 -0400
Dear Listers:

Have been banging my head on this brick wall for so long has finally dawned
on me I need help from you knowledgeable, helpful people.  My "problem
child" is my children's 4th great-grandfather.

OLDHAM, Edward b.d. & place unknown, m. 1791 Sarah DISHMAN. Inherited land
King George Co. VA 1791 from Samuel OLDHAM, magistrate & judge Westmoreland
and King George counties. Samuel died 25 Feb 1790.  Edward was a member of
the vestry of Hanover Parish, King George Co. VA. Edward d. 1795 King George
Co. VA.

Who were his parents & what was his link to Samuel Oldham?  Only clue I have
unearthed is an entry dated 27 Nov 1759 in the Westmoreland Co, VA order
books which detailed the punishment of one of Samuel Oldham's bondwomen for
bearing a bastard child.  As she could not pay the fine in either cash or
tobacco, she was ordered to be whipped.  The order also stated she owed her
master, Samuel Oldham, for "the trouble of his house while she lay in."  As
Edward inherited from this Samuel and I have been able to find no recorded
children of Samuel's plus the fact that the date would be plausible for
Edward's birth time, have wondered if this "bastard child" could have been
Edward, Samuel's only child, hence his heir.  Is this too far a stretch?

Susan Oldham Craig [log in to unmask]