VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2005

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:23:55 -0400
I know many people like to bash Ancestry.com, but I've always been a big
defender of their on-line census images despite their terrible
transcriptions and indexing.  That said, I have to share this with the list:
on the 1920 census for Charlotte County, VA many of the people gave their
place of birth as "Prince Edward" -- that's Prince Edward County, Virginia,
on the northern edge of Charlotte.  In his/her brilliance, the Ancestry
transcriber interpreted this as "Prince Edward Island" and has put all these
 people as having been born in Nova Scotia!  Dozens and dozens of them!  Who
knew Charlotte was so full of black Canadians in 1920?!  This would be funny
if it wasn't so darn pitiful.

Please don't start another round of  bashing Ancestry.com -- I just thought
you all might like to share my amazement.

Kathy