VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2012

From:
Grace Bliss Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:52:45 -0400
I would like to add four tips:

1) the county books section is exceptional; so before you go, know the
counties your ancestors lived in.  Last time I was at LVA, there was a large
county map of the formation of counties that I copied.  It was really
helpful.  I still refer to it at home.

2)  if you have a good digital camera or hand scanner, you may be able to
photo/scan some information rather than using a photo copier.

3) you request certain books (like family genealogies) using a computer.
Then you watch for the book's arrival on the wall-mounted monitor and go to
the desk to collect it.

4)  there is a series of helpful research guides along the wall. Some are
available online (PDF) at
http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/bibguides.htm  It may be helpful
to read/print at home before you go.

Grace Bliss Smith/Michigan
(Looking for Grinstead-Rice Cousins, Northumberland and Prince William
Counties)