VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2012

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2012 10:50:36 -0700
Dear Carole,

Easily enough, although I make no claims to being an expert, this is my understanding.  I don't believe that this particular science creates major conflicts with even "creationist" theories of life.

All of us have within us two distinct forms of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid).  One is contained in the cell nucleus, the other is contained within a separate organelle called the mitochondria.  Now that DNA, especially nucleic yDNA, is in such general use in serious genealogy, it seems improbable that anyone on the list is unfamiliar with the subject.  Mitochondrial DNA, an analysis of which is now available from all the major genealogical testing groups, is distinct in that it traces directly back only through female parents.  In other words, it will match to your mother, her mother, her mother -- on and on.

Two threads come together in Africa.  First, each form of DNA is subject to mutation over time, mitochondrial DNA, in particular is subject to a relatively uniform rate of mutation.  Overall, today's African native population exhibits the most "mature" on earth,  i.e. exhibits the largest number of these relatively regular mutations.  That indicates, in general terms, that that the African community constitutes the oldest continuous line of our genus, homo sapiens, on earth.  Similarly, all of our collective mitochondrial DNA coalesces around a single source, a source whose antiquity, measured by mitochondria's regular rate of mutation would place her as a close contemporary of the oldest remains of homo sapiens ever found -- all in Africa.  This is but a summary.  If you would like further information on the subject you can make a preliminary start with online resources like Wikipedia and continue your research from there.

It's probably worth pointing out that the theory behind the original word "mulatto" is also "laughable" on a common sense basis.  With thousands upon thousands of viable mixed race children appearing over the years, the notion that the union would be sterile was disproven virtually from the moment it was conceived.

Jack Fallin