VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2011

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:24:18 -0600
And deeper into the weeds we go............. :-)

I believe I've got a few more docs sorted out and this is what I've
found....

Regarding the estate of Jeremiah Hatcher Jr:
WB 5, p 302 - Archibald Hatcher's accounts current for July thru Nov 1816
WB 5, p 303 - AH's a/c for Nov 1816 thru Oct 1817
WB 5, p 304? - varied dates with misc debts paid, Eliz Hatcher listed,
alive in Feb 1817
WB 5, p 305 - AH's a/c for Aug 1816 thru Dec 1817
WB 5, p 306 - AH's a/c for Oct 1818 thru Dec 1821

NOW! At the end of p 306 is the following:

Agreeable to an order of Bedford September Court 1819 to us directed we
the undersigned having Stated and Settled the account current of
Jeremiah Hatcher Junr with Archibald Hatcher his executor. And find the
amount of debits exhibited and allowed amounting to the Sum of $1360.93
and Credits amounting to the Sum of $1906.81 cents agreeable to the
Within accounts annexed. Given under our hands this the 21st day of
September 1821.

[Signed]
John Baughn
Peter Hunter
David Jones
John Newell

At a Court held for Bedford County at the Courthouse the 24th day of
September 1821. This Settlement of the account Current of the estate of
Jeremiah Hatcher Deceased with his executor was returned to Court and
ordered to be Recorded.

So we have another court order to go after - Sept 1819.

But what prompted this particular court order? We know Elizabeth Hatcher
was alive in 1820 and not remarried.

1820 BedfordCo, VA census, Roll M33-133, p 41.
Elizabeth Hatcher, 3M 0-10, 2M 10-16, 2F 10-16, 1F 26-45

We know Nancy, the eldest child, didn't marry George Hawkins until 1822.

So is the above accounting the actual "normal" end of Jeremiah's probate
before final settlement to the heirs? If so, why was the Inventory and
appraisement taken a full year later in Nov 1822? [the doc that started
this whole mess :-)

Now to Sharpe's msg [which didn't make it to the list because of the
attachment].....

I've read just the 1st page of the 1832 case s/he sent me and at the
moment, the name of Caleb Henry as a s/o Jeremiah Jr makes no sense but
I'll need to read all of it. I have one of these cases where the oratrix
gave a number of names of family members that were in error and were
corrected later on in the paperwork..

We know George Hawkins was the guardian of Caleb when Caleb married in
Dec 1836 but we don't know when George became the guardian.

And Janice raised a question about the post-Revolutionary dissolution of
Anglican parish lands. This is not something I'm familiar with at all so
have no idea if this had any effect on the situation we're dealing with.

Nel

HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~halldna/HDNAtest.htm