VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2008

From:
jwterry99 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jwterry99 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:17:06 -0600
Byron,
    I've been waiting for someone more knowledgeable than me, but I'll tell
you what I do know.  Maybe it will stimulate the discussion since these are
important questions.
1. Road crews:  Unfortunately I can't find my source material but I believe
the way it works is that people petition the court to establish a road in
their area.  A court order (generally found in Court Order Books) is then
required to assign people along the road-to-be to work on the crew.  The
best I have been able to determine, males over 16 that lived in the
immediate area were assigned to the crew.  An overseer was appointed to lead
the crew.  So my take is that you can infer he lived close to the road and
was over 16.  I have ancestors that were on such crews so I would appreciate
more info also.
2.  Deed witnesses:  I've seen it stated that males over 14 could witness
deeds; although I've also read that about any aged males sometimes would
witness.  I've seen sons, brothers, and fathers as witnesses.  I don't know
of any constraints.
3. testator witnesses:  Here also, I have seen sons and brothers as
witnesses.  I don't think the witnesses can be named in the will as
recipients, though.
    Maybe someone will jump in with more/better info.
Jim