VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2022

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2022 20:23:24 +0000

EXPLORE RELIC

October 2022 – The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)

Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history are our specialties as a service provided by Prince William Public Libraries (PWPL). You can always find more about us on https://www.pwcva.gov/department/library/about-relic .

RELIC service is available:

In-person at Central Library, 8601 Mathis Avenue, Manassas, Virginia 20110, by email at [log in to unmask], and by phone at 703-792-8380.

Hours of Operation

Monday – Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Thursday – Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Closed Sunday

Upcoming Programs

All programs will be in person at Central Library.

Some previous RELIC programs can be viewed onhttps://www.pwcva.gov/department/library/RELIC-programs.

SEGREGATED LIBRARIES IN PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY Friday, November 4, 2:00 p.m.

Chris Barbuschak and Suzanne LaPierre researched the history of Northern Virginia’s segregated public libraries. In addition to investigating Fairfax County Public Library’s own history, they examined the situation in Northern Virginia as a whole, including the library systems in the cities of Alexandria and Falls Church and the counties of Arlington, Loudoun, and Prince William.

Chris will present findings from the duo’s intriguing Inquiry. Register at  https://pwcgov.libnet.info/event/6982336, by phone at 703-792-8380, or at [log in to unmask]

RELIC INSIDER

Sharing Your Research Results:

A Way of Expanding Your Discoveries

An excellent method for finding new hints and sources for your family history is to put your current research results “out there” for the world to see.

Certain websites allow you to post your family tree at no cost and let you contact and be contacted by others working on the same ancestral lines. FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com are two such sites. You can manually build a family tree on those sites, adding one ancestor at a time. The usual practice is for living persons in your tree to be hidden or “private.”

It is easier to upload a database of your tree, called a GEDCOM, which is the world standard for transmission of genealogical data. Any standard genealogy software program, such as RootsMagic, Legacy Family Tree, and FamilyTreeMaker, is built using the GEDCOM framework.

You can also upload your family tree to DNA websites, such as Ancestry.com, FamilyTreeDNA, 23andMe.com, MyHeritage.com, and GedMatch.com. There you can learn whether your DNA matches your genealogical research.

In the past, the usual way that genealogists reached out to one another was to put a classified ad in a genealogical magazine or a newspaper’s genealogy column. That tactic has pretty much disappeared today.

It still may be useful to reach out to a library or genealogical society where your ancestor lived. That’s where RELIC’s Genealogical Exchange File comes in. It is a card index to Prince William ancestors that are being researched. Anyone with such an ancestor can fill out the form at https://www.pwcva.gov/department/library/relic-genealogical-exchange-form , and we will add it to the file. You can request a report on any local family, and we will send you contact information about their researchers. We can also provide copies of correspondence and previous research from our Family Files.

Visit the "Tree Doctor"

You can now make appointments for virtual or in-person visits with Don Wilson, "The Tree Doctor." We can set up an hour appointment to discuss and dive into your brick wall research problem. Call by phone at 703–792–8380 or email [log in to unmask] to set up a time.

LEARN WHAT'S NEW IN RELIC

https://www.pwcva.gov/department/library/relic-new-acquisitions

#

https://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html