VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:08:32 EST
There are several problems with what you state.  First Margaret was the widow
Rouzee when she married Daniel Gaines. 2. Daniel gaines had no daughter
Elizabeth, but rather Margaret who is thought to have married Francis
Slaughter and Mary who married John Catlett2.  I will attach a little more of
the article:

p. 39-41  Will of Daniel Gaines  In the name of God Amen, I Daniell Gaines of
the Parish of Sittenburne in the County of Rappa: being in good health of
body & sound & perfect memory Praise be therefore given to Almighty God ...
Impris. ...debts pd...Orphants of Colnll John Catlett deced to be paid out of
the negroes and other goods that did belong to the sd Colnll Catlets Estate
the Negroes & Goods to be pd as they were appraised to me as may appear by
Inventory.  Item...Son, Bernard all my land that I now live upon to him & his
heires lawfully begotten & that he shall not let sell or mortgage any part or
parcell of the same so longe as his two Sisters, Margret & Mary  or their
heires be alive.  It is my will that if all my Children die without heires of
their bodyes then my land to fall to my Grandson, John Smyth & to his heires
forever  Item I give to my Daughter Mary the Mare colt that now sucks on Mare
Betty and all her encrease to her & her heires for Ever  Item It is my will
that the Mare Heyfer & hogs that I have given to my Grandson in Law John
Smith be & remaine to his proper use forever  Item.  It is my Will that the
first living Child that my Negro Cate doth bring be given to my Daughter
Margarett and to her heires for ever & if it lives to the age of three yeares
to be in lieu of a man Servant, otherwise to be in no stead  Item I do give
to my Son, Bernard my Silver hilted sword & Belt & my Seale Ring  Item I give
unto my deare & loveing Wife, Margret, one third of all my Estate in lieu of
her Dowre  Item. My will is that the other two parts of my Estate be deviced
(divided) between my three children, Bernard, Margret and Mary and no part of
it be apprised but to be inventoried and delivered in kind  Item.  It is my
will that my Daughter Margaret have a good feather bead & furniture at my
death in full of her part of my bedding  Item It is my will that my Daughter
Mary have the use of so much housing & land as she needs soe long as she
continued unmarried  Item. It is my will that as soone as it can a man
Servant be bought with Tobacco for my Daughter Margaret in part of he [sic
her] porcon  Item.  It is my will that my Wife, Son Bernard and Daughter Mary
keep their shares together for their menteyance doing their  best by their
Endeavours to Encrease the same as long as my Wife continues Widdow or so
land as either of my Children continue unmarried and at the day of Marriage
of my Wife or of either of my Children then my Childrens part to be delivered
them in kind  Item My will is that my two Children Bernard & Mary have as
many things apeice out of my Estate as my Daughter Margaret hath had already
& the rest to be devided between them equally by my loveing Kinsman, John
Catlett & Sons in Law John Smyth and Ralph Rowzey and not to go to Law one
with the other Item It is my will that my Estate be inventoryed within ten
dayes after my decease Item I give to my deare & loving wife Twenty Shilling
to buy her a Mourning Ring to ware for my sake & to my two Daughters each of
them a Ring of Ten Shillings price Item It is my will that if I die haveing
no tobacco in my house that my Servants bee & remaine together till they make
a good crop of Arenoco Tobacco out of which my Wife having first taken her
Thirds then my Son Bernard & Daughter Mary have out of the  rest each of them
as much as my Daughter Margarett hath already then if any be remaining over &
above to be devided equally between them all three  Item.  It is my will that
my Children have their Estate at the death or day of Marriage of my Wife
whether they be of age or not   Item It is my will the Children of Colnll
John Catlett remaine with my Wife til they come of age or not   Item I
nominate & appont my dear and loveing Wife my sole Executrix of this my last
Will and testament. and Guardian to my Children so longe as she lives a
Widdow.  IN Witness whereof I the sd Daniell Gaines to this my last Will &
Testamt do sett my hand & Seale this Eighteeenth of August in the yeare of
our Lord One thousand Six hundred Eighty & two
Signed Sealed & delivered and declared                            Daniel
Gaines
presence of Wm Murrow
John Catlett Wm Browne
Wee the Subscribers do hereby testifie and declare upon or Oathes wee did see
Capt Danll Gaines with menconed signe seale & deliver this ...Recorded 1 die
8bris Ano 1684

THE GAINES CONNECTION: HER NAME WAS NOT ELIZABETH IT WAS MARY!!
Earlier this century, researchers have assigned Daniel Gaines a daughter
Elizabeth and married her to John Catlett2.  However, Daniel Gaines in his
1682 will, probated in 1684, named no daughter Elizabeth.  He named three
children, Margaret who from the wording in his will was married and Bernard
and Mary.   At the time of his death he was the guardian of the Catlett
children.  His wife was the widow of Ralph Rouzee, Catlett's half brother.
Yet one does not have to look any further than a prior issue of this
publication to find mention of Elizabeth Gaines, the daughter of Daniel, as
the president's Gaines ancestor.[This was written for the National Society of
Madison Family Descendants and does not contain footnotes]  Daniel Gaines did
have a daughter Mary and as demonstrated above John2 Catlett's wife was named
Mary.  She was probably Mary, the daughter of Daniel Gaines.
The only record showing John Catlett's wife's given name was a deed for land
in England that recorded her dower release in Essex Co. VA in 1706.  It is
clear her name was Mary Catlett. And it is the only record found so far
giving the name of John Catlett 2's wife.  I hope this helps to answere some
of the questions.