VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:38:43 EDT
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to sort out some 1600s BAUGH information that I have come across
in
Accomac/Northampton Cos VA, more or less by accident.  In brief, a John Baugh
is a person for whom  a headright is claimed by Richard Hill in Accomac in
1664 (and that John Baugh, could of course have ended up about anywhere, dead
or alive).  In 1663/4 a Rowland Baugh is a witness to the wills of Alice  and
Henry Armitrading (merchant) in Northampton Co.

Then in 1667 a William Baugh is mentioned in a court case as having sold
two servants (actually married, but presenting selves as single as that was
more lucrative..hence fornication case) first to Jacob Browne, then to our
infamous colonial leader who would now be considered "politically incorrect"
Edmund Scarborough, who then gifted them to his mistress Ann Toft, who paid a
tobacco fine so they weren't lashed. (I honestly couldn't exactly figure out
why the case was ever brought.  Scarborough left the court room.  I guess
they wanted to "make an example").

The court case suggests that that William Baugh has to be there at least for
a couple of years before 1667, ie, when Rowland Baugh and John Baugh show up.

The only Tithe list William Baugh shows up for in Accomac is Captain Wallop's
precinct in 1684, where he has no tithes (meaning he is OLD??).  There is a
court case also at this time involving some property damage at his "fishing
hole"
in Accomac, but it is noted that he is dead.  I have looked through many, but
not all by any estimation, Accomac/Northampton VA, Somerset/Worcestor MD
records and found no more mentions of Baughsin the later 1600s, early 1700s.

FYI, I confess to having found, but not gone through a tithe list book for
Northampton Co, for this period as it was unindexed and I ran out of time.
I also do not have access to any land/deed information for Accomac Co., so I
can't determine if he was a landowner.

My question is, is it possible that William Baugh, who appears sporadically
in court records from 1670 to 1684, could have owned land, therefore paid tax
on it, but did not appear on tithe lists because he did not live there?
Maybe he had a tenant.  Maybe he is the William Baugh of Henrico Co, who does
die in 1687?  William had land in the Bermuda hundredTurkey Island area and
on the Appomatox just upstream of "Cobbs" /Point of Rocks.  He and some of
his local buddies could have easily had "hunting lodges" on the Eastern Shore
(a pleasant day's sail), to borrow a phrase for English lords and wealthy
merchants' vacation homes in the 1600s/1700s.

Or of course maybe Accomac/Northampton Co tithe takers could have missed him,
though several years in a row seems unlikely.

AND related to the transported John Baugh, is it possible that the probably
elderly John Baugh of Henrico (a burgess in 1640s, death date unknown),
bought himself and son William the vacation retreat on the Eastern shore, and
Richard Hill above "got credit" for it?

Speaking of "hunting lodges", I am wondering if the tidewater marsh colonial
VA
equivalent was "fishing holes", as in a deed of sale by John Baugh 1773 to
John Martin of his land "Cathole" just upstream of Point of Rocks, in
Chesterfield Co, he carves out William Walthalls "fishing hole" from the
boundary description.

I'm trying to figure out if there was actually a separate Baugh family over
there (a Joyce Baugh is also mentioned in Accomac court records), or just
folks like
those of us now who live in Northern VA and now go over there for vacations
to watch the sun set against the laws of nature at our backs (grew up in Long
Beach CA).

To the best of my knowledge no Rowland Baugh has shown up West of the
Chesapeake, BUT this is a family name for these Baughs, and his presence as a
witness to the will of a merchant suggests that perhaps he was there "on
business". Also, Henrico Court records before the 1670s are pretty darn
scarce I am told, so he and who knows who else could have been in the area as
well.

Because there is also no Joyce Baugh in any of the fairly extensive Baugh
Henrico Co records, I still tend to think that  maybe a different branch was
over on the Eastern Shore, there than William Baugh of Henrico, d.
1687...But, maybe William had a second family like Edmund Scarborough!  Now
wouldn't that be a fun skeleton to uncover:-)

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks in advance.

Janet (Baugh) Hunter