VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

From:
William Groth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Groth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:02:18 -0600
Hello everyone,

I have an ancestor James Peery NEEL/NEAL  who I have found in Tazewell Co.
VA and based on the
census records and other records I have determined the following about my
GGG Grandfather.

James Peery NEAL was b. 11 Apr 1810 in VA and d. 6 Aug 1880 Tazewell Co.VA.
He married
Delilah KIRK (b. 19 Apr 1815 VA; d. 15 Nov 1892) the daughter of William and
Margaret (Brooks) KIRK.
According to death records for Tazewell Co. VA my James Peery NEAL was the
son of Calvan NEAL
and Nancy (??) Neal.

I have found references in transcriptions of the Tazewell Co. VA 1820 & 1830
census for a family of
Colven/Calven/Colvin NEEL which I believe fits with the family above.  He is
listed and I believe is
related to the other NEAL/NEEL families there including Robert NEEL,
Alexander NEEL, Mary NEEL
and William NEEL.  I have noted in these records that Calvan/Colven NEEL was
born ca 1760-1770.
I am hoping to connections to the PEERY family of Tazewell Co. VA and to the
NEEL/NEAL families
listed for this county and for Giles Co. VA.

Does anyone know if there is a connection with the PEERY family of Tazewell
Co. VA and the NEAL
family?  Does anyone have a reference for a Calvan NEEL/NEAL who would have
been born probably
before 1790 as James was born in 1810 in VA.  I found a Nancy PEERY in VA
records.  Might she
have married Calvan NEAL and thus be a parent of James Peery NEAL?