VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2021

From:
Cheryl Bater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2021 16:25:50 -0400
Good Afternoon Kathy:
I am very grateful for your prompt reply. Indeed, 10 years has gone by so
quickly. As a young girl, Dad warned me of the perils of postponing
important pursuits; of course, youth prevented my full understanding of the
importance of this basic tidbit of wisdom.
I have not searched the VA-Southside archives. Thank you ! This is a
new valuable resource for me.
Anything that you are willing to share is treasured. I am certainly
interested in any recipe he shared- I am a champion baker and cook (as a
sideline to my veterinary career). His grandmother and mother were
amazing pie bakers and my daughter and I inherited the pie-baking genes.
Of course, Dad was a wealth of information - much of his knowledge was
directly or indirectly related to the paths he crossed in search of our own
family history. In an indirect way- through you and others that shared
knowledge with him- I may be able to "pick his brain" even today via
connections he made long ago with his treasured co-researchers. Priceless.
I enjoyed our spirited philosophical disagreements as much as our
accordance.
My siblings, children, nieces, and nephews do not (yet) have the
history/genealogy bug- but one day, their children may be curious.
The history/genealogy internet sites are a useful tool but can also lead
one to become a useful fool...LOL. That probably sounds like Dad, right. I
am my father's daughter.
 Due to his tutelage, I cannot always consider the information garnered
therein as a primary resource. Prior to his death, he asked me to finish
his latest book. I floundered while walking in the footsteps of the giant
though.  HIs last book was about responsible web searches for history and
genealogy. I trust others have adequately taken that up.
Blessings to you and yours and thank you again!
Cheryl