VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2008

Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 21:09:00 EDT
Hello, I'm looking for some assistance in sorting out the Webb family members
who moved to Franklin County, VA in the 1700's and then married into the
Helm(s) family.   Cuthbert Webb died in Amherst County and his wife Mary or Molly
Anglin? moved to Franklin County supposedly with 11 children.   If I have my
information correct, her daughter Connie "Constance" married Adam Helm in April
of 1789 in Franklin County and they later moved to Floyd County where Connie
died in 1826 (marriage bond states Conny Webb, daughter of Molly).   I also
have that she was married previously.   Does this mean that Webb was her married
or her maiden name or both.   From information I found in a Helm source, I
thought that Connie had a sister named Mary "Molly" who married Thomas Helm in
August of 1795 in Franklin County.   But when I look at the "Marriage Bonds of
Franklin County" by Marshall Wingfield I see that it states that Mary is the
daughter of Theodorick and Mary.   I thought this might be the Theodorick who
died in Franklin County, Va in 1793 as he was married twice, first to Mary
unknown and second to Elizabeth, widow of Garratt Fitzgerald.   His will has no
mention of any daughters only that his estate be divided between "Jacob William
Webb Fitzgerald and Theodiric Fitzgerald, at the death of my wife, their
mother".   If Mary and Connie's fathers are siblings then Mary and Connie are
simply first cousins that married the brothers Thomas and Adam Helm and my original
thought they were sisters who married brothers is incorrect.   Can anyone
help sort through this confusion?   Who are the parents of Connie Webb Helm and
Mary Webb Helm?   Are Connie and Mary sisters or cousins?   Are their fathers,
cousins or brothers or even related?   Thomas and Adam Helm(s) also had a
younger brother named Jacob who in March of 1806 married Nancy Webb, who I have
been told is the daughter of Constance Webb and her first husband.   And in
1818, Thomas Helm and his wife Molly had a son James Helm(s) who married Mary
(Hannah?) Webb, daughter of Hannah Jones and Jacob Webb.   James Helms and his
wife moved from Virginia to Missouri around 1838.   I think this Jacob Webb was
the son of Cuthbert and Mary Molly.

Twyla Edwards
Prillaman Family Genealogy
315.336.1039