VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2021

From:
Nancy Upshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2021 14:28:30 -0400
In the will I’m most familiar with, this is the only item given to a daughter, and it’s the last item devised in the will. I haven't checked the full context of the few other wills Google found using the term, but nothing struck me as being “related” items to this one. Just comes out of the blue.

Previous responder’s African terminology seems to hint that perhaps it could be a term like “hogshead” of tobacco, except it would be for sugar cane. However, it seems to usually be referenced as a “pair of shilliards”, sort of like you would refer to andirons, which doesn't seem to fit the case for bundles of sugar cane. The “and pea” part of the phrase is also found in multiple references to “shilliards,” so that must have some meaning relative to the shilliards. (Like “mortar and pestle, for instance.)

- Nancy

https://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html