VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2011

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2011 14:32:44 -0400
"glebe lands"  ?

  Carole

In a message dated 10/6/2011 2:31:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Sorry- I  probably used an incorrect phrase when mentioning dissolution
of  parish lands.
I am under the impression that, when the Church of  England ceased to
be the recognized religion of Colonial Virginia,  any lands owned by a
parish were reclaimed and sold as taxable  acreage. I believe this
included any areas previously designated for  support of the household
of the minister.

It wouldn't seem  unlikely that this cleric might wish to purchase some
of the lands  he had managed, and that this purchase might have to be
proven at a  later time if an inventory and assessment were taking place.

If any if  my 'impressions' are faulty please don't hesitate to set the
record  straight. Having the opportunity to learn is one of the best
features of this list.

Janice

On Oct 6, 2011, at  12:24 PM, nelhatch  wrote:

> And deeper into the weeds we  go............. :-)
>
> I believe I've got a few more docs sorted  out and this is what I've
> found....
>
> Regarding  the estate of Jeremiah Hatcher Jr:
> WB 5, p 302 - Archibald Hatcher's  accounts current for July thru Nov
> 1816
> WB 5, p 303 -  AH's a/c for Nov 1816 thru Oct 1817
> WB 5, p 304? - varied dates with  misc debts paid, Eliz Hatcher
> listed, alive in Feb 1817
>  WB 5, p 305 - AH's a/c for Aug 1816 thru Dec 1817
> WB 5, p 306 - AH's  a/c for Oct 1818 thru Dec 1821
>
> NOW! At the end of p 306 is the  following:
>
> Agreeable to an order of Bedford September Court  1819 to us directed
> we the undersigned having Stated and  Settled the account current of
> Jeremiah Hatcher Junr with  Archibald Hatcher his executor. And find
> the amount of debits  exhibited and allowed amounting to the Sum of
> $1360.93 and  Credits amounting to the Sum of $1906.81 cents
> agreeable to the  Within accounts annexed. Given under our hands this
> the 21st  day of September 1821.
>
> [Signed]
> John Baughn
>  Peter Hunter
> David Jones
> John Newell
>
> At a  Court held for Bedford County at the Courthouse the 24th day of
>  September 1821. This Settlement of the account Current of the estate
> of Jeremiah Hatcher Deceased with his executor was returned to  Court
> and ordered to be Recorded.
>
> So we have  another court order to go after - Sept 1819.
>
> But what prompted  this particular court order? We know Elizabeth
> Hatcher was  alive in 1820 and not remarried.
>
> 1820 BedfordCo, VA census,  Roll M33-133, p 41.
> Elizabeth Hatcher, 3M 0-10, 2M 10-16, 2F 10-16, 1F  26-45
>
> We know Nancy, the eldest child, didn't marry George  Hawkins until
> 1822.
>
> So is the above accounting  the actual "normal" end of Jeremiah's
> probate before final  settlement to the heirs? If so, why was the
> Inventory and  appraisement taken a full year later in Nov 1822? [the
> doc that  started this whole mess :-)

> And Janice  raised a question about the post-Revolutionary
> dissolution of  Anglican parish lands. This is not something I'm
> familiar with  at all so have no idea if this had any effect on the
> situation  we're dealing with.
>
> Nel

To subscribe, change options,  or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
at