VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2005

From:
John Shroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:48:07 EST
In a message dated 2/21/2005 11:59:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I know of very few families with roots in west NC, east TN, north GA
or north AL that do NOT have such stories.  The reason is simple; men
of the 16th, 17th and 18th Centuries quite usually came to the western
limits of civilization without women
For those interested in the milieu of the movement of the Scots-Irish and
their families into those areas, I thorougly enjoyed and recommend Born Fighting
by James Webb who traces his own ancestry in the larger context of that great
migration westward and away from "the glebe and the sheriff".
John Shroeder