VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2024

From:
Stephanie Borop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2024 06:25:43 -0500
I am researching Dorothy Drew, daughter of Thomas Drew, of Charles City County, VA and her husband Hubbard Farrell.  Dorothy apparently died in 1673 (if the correct tombstone is attributed to her) and was married to Hubbard Farrell at the time.  Hubbard died in 1676 (Bacon's Rebellion).  Dorothy had apparently inherited 800 - 900 acres from her father, Thomas, who had purchased the land in 1650 from George Pace.  The property went through escheat inquisition in 1680 and was patented to William White in 1681.  William also happened to be the administrator for Hubbard Farrell..  In 1682/1683 the property was patented again to Henry Hartwell as though the patent in 1681 to William White never occurred.

I believe Dorothy Drew and Hubbard Farrell had at least one child, Bryan Farrell, who died in Prince George County, VA in 1716.  I can't find any direct proof as it appears neither Dorothy nor Hubbard left a will.  I was hoping I could find some hints to indicate whether Bryan Farrell is their son by tracing land patents and court order entries.  So far, no luck.

If my assumption about Bryan Farrell being a son is correct, why wouldn't he have inherited the land of his mother, Dorothy Drew rather than it being escheated?

Any insights would be appreciated.

https://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html