VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2012

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:14:32 -0500
I see that some files on RootsWeb WorldConnect show that the Rice Jones who
married Frances Bowman was a son of the older Rice Jones who married Jane
Cock/Cocke.  Jane Cock (died 1694) was a daughter of Nicholas Cock and
Nicholas' wife, the widow Mrs. Jane (Unknown) Curtis (the widow of
Bartholomew Curtis).  After the older Rice Jones died, the widow Mrs. Jane
(Cock) Jones married second to Lt. John Smith (a son of Alexander Smith, who
was in the Lancaster Co., VA area by at least the 1650s).  Alexander Smith
and his son Lt. John Smith (and hence, Lt. John Smith's wife Jane Cock) are
my ancestors on my "mother's side."  Nicholas Cock had a son who was named
Maurice Cock....and the given name of "Maurice" was also used several times
in the Lt. John Smith/Jane Cock family.  When Maurice Cock wrote his will in
1696, he mentioned his nephews....orphans of the older Rice Jones....who
were named John Jones, Rice Jones (the one who married Frances Bowman, I
presume) and Nicholas Jones.

Bill Davidson