VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2004

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 14:21:16 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/2004 10:58:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The problem in this question is complicated only because the records are
> not extant.  If those are one day discovered, there will be found in that file
> an order by the court naming all the issue and the widow, and also what
> became of the assets or the dollar value of those assets, i.e., who got what.

This is really more for Nel, but I believe that the Chesterfield County
records are extant for the 1800s?  Is that true.  In fact, if some day I have time
to go through them (chancery, deeds, court orders, etc.) up through the early
1800s. I dream that I might find the maiden name of my 4g grandfather John
Baugh's wife.

Like so many other records of areas settled early in colonial Virginia, the
abstracters of Chesterfield records, except for wills, ran out of gas in the
mid-1700s for the most part.  There are some Chancery Court records for
Chesterfield abstracted in the Magazine of Virginia Genealogy and History, but I don't
know how far forward they went.    And if the first ones hadn't been
abstracted there, I/we might not have identified my Powhatan Co. Baugh ancestors.

Janet Hunter