VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2008

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 21:13:59 -0400
Sharon,

I checked my Goochland Co., VA tithe lists for 1735-1747, and I found no one
with a surname even close to that (and the surname of "Rich" does not seem
to appear, either).  One of my own ancestors was a man named David Davidson
who died in James City Co., VA in 1687.  He was born in Holland, however,
per his surviving naturalization papers (though his parents could have been
out of Scotland, since Holland was the major trading partner with Scotland,
and a lot of Scots lived in Holland).  A later David Davidson, who appears
to have been a grandson of the above "first" David Davidson, was in
Goochland by the 1740s (as were his likely brothers, Edward Davidson and
William Davidson).  Anyway, here is an example of another family out of
Holland "finding its way" to Goochland by at least the 1740s.  It appears
that this David Davidson in Goochland was the same David Davidson who had
been listed in Sheriff Nash's account book in Henrico Co., VA in the 1730s
(the part of Henrico that was south of the James River).

Bill Davidson