VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2019

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2019 19:35:35 +0000
EXPLORE RELIC

November 2019 - The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)

Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history is our specialty as a service provided by the Prince William Public Library. We're located at Bull Run Regional Library and you can always find more about us at www.pwcgov.org/library/relic<http://www.pwcgov.org/library/relic>

Genealogy 101: Getting Started
Discovering your family's history is both fun and rewarding. RELIC's Darlene Hunter, Certified Genealogist, will demonstrate the essential first steps to take and resources to use, most of which are available for free through the library.
Wednesday, November 13, 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Making Sense of the Census

RELIC's Don Wilson will detail the use of population censuses as well as non-population schedules. Explore the peculiarities of these records and learn to use mortality, agricultural, and industrial schedules; the defective, dependent, and delinquent classes, and more.

Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

RELIC INSIDER:

LOCAL YEARBOOKS BEING ADDED TO THE INTERNET ARCHIVE

Local high school yearbooks are among the most popular items collected by RELIC. We now have over 300 of those annuals among our holdings. We are happy to report that at least 100 of them have now been digitized and put online for your entertainment.

Thanks to the support of the Library of Virginia's yearbook digitization project and the Internet Archive, you can now access a variety of Prince William, Manassas, and Manassas Park yearbooks.

To view the that have recently been uploaded, visit  archive.org/details/pwcpubliclibrary<https://archive.org/details/pwcpubliclibrary>. They include Osbourn, Woodbridge, Gar-Field, Manassas Park, and Potomac high schools for selected years between 1946 and 1998. Previously, a few other schools had been uploaded including Brentsville District, Jennie Dean, Battlefield, and Osbourn Park. Search using keywords "Prince William Yearbooks" at archive.org<file:///C:/Users/dlw4541a/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/TEA7C3B2/archive.org> for more results. As the project continues, we will add to the online content and link it to RELIC's digital archives.

We are eager to add to the collection of our local school yearbooks. If you have a yearbook not represented in our collection, we would appreciate your lending it to us so that it can be scanned and returned to you unharmed.

NEXT MONTH

*Complicated, Very Complicated: George Washington's Relationship with His Mother

Dr. Peter Henriques, George Mason University Professor of History Emeritus and George Washington Scholar illuminates the early influence the very complex Mary Ball Washington exerted on her famous son and further examines their later, quite controversial relationship and the friction between them.

Thursday, December 5, 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

To read the latest lists of new materials available, please click on What's New in RELIC<http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-news.aspx>.

Unless otherwise stated, all of the preceding programs will take place at Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, Virginia. Programs may last from 60 to 90 minutes. Funding for selected RELIC programs is provided by the Friends of Bull Run Library.*  You may register for any of these free programs at 703-792-4540 or email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. You may also register online at RELIC Programs<http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-programs.aspx>.