VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2011

From:
Perri Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:53:33 -0400
Thanks so much for your rapid response!  I was thrilled to see your post,
hoping that you might have found a treasure trove of journals that I'd
overlooked.  Sad to say, the 1861 document is the only specific session
document I've ever located online, so it's the only year I had already
clarified -- and even then, I found it confusing.  Benjamin appears as a
member in 1861 for this special session, but I've been unable to locate him
for 1860 or 1862, one of which would have been the second year of his
two-year term, presuming that this special session counted as one year (or
as part of one).

I've come across several references to the service of both men during that
time period, & I even contacted a legislative clerk in Richmond who had
copies of the journals.  She verified that both men are listed, but I
couldn't ask her to make copies or to go through each journal and list out
which session years Benjamin Morgan served (and ditto for John).  It just
seems like this information should be available online somewhere, but
outside of the journal you found, I've simply come up empty.

I had NOT seen the full 1861 journal available for downloading, so I thank
you for that.  If anyone knows of documentation for any other VA legislative
years (1849-1863), I'd be most grateful for the information.  I'm unable to
drive to Richmond to look at the old journal copies at the legislature,
since I don't live in Virginia.  I'm simply researching my ancestors, who did.

Thanks again,

Perri