VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2012

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:33:33 -0400
"During that time period ...," you say. But which time period  ?

According to Samuel R. Cook, 2000):
1.    A 1705 Virginia law proclaimed that the offspring  of any Indian
'"should be deemed, accounted, held and taken to be  mulatto."  (Statutes at
Large..., William Walter Henning, 1823, p.  242)
2.    A 1787 law stated that "any person of whose  grandfathers or
grandmothers ... is, or shall have been a negro, although all  other progenitors ...
shall have been white persons, shall be deemed  mulattos." (Statutes at
Large..., William Walter Henning, 1823, p.  184)
3.    An 1823 law: "Be it enacted and declared ... that  the child of an
Indian and the child, or great grandchild of a Negro, shall be  deemed,
accounted, and taken to be a mulatto." (Virginia Assembly, 1823, p.  252)

Therefore, if one finds a person recorded to be a "mulatto," in an 1800
document for example, and uses the more modern definition of the term, he  may
conclude that the person in question was a Negro-mix, while he may well
have  been an Indian !!   The same thing can be true, if before  emancipation
he were termed a "free mulatto" or "free colored," where  "colored" only
meant not pure white.

In a message dated 6/1/2012 1:14:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,