An e-mail query several years ago requested info on the NUPHIS Family of Essex Co.  In my research for a book on Northern Neck probate records (1800-1825), I have found evidence that I believe shows that "NUPHIS" is a spurious surname.  It should be RUST.  It looks like Lettice L. SMITH, the wife of Francis SMITH was the wid. of Capt. Benj. RUST (d. Essex Co. 1787).  I can find no evidence of a NUPHIS Family anywhere in Virginia.