I'm transcribing an 1825 estate appraisal and sale in Powhatan County Virginia. The deceased died without a will, leaving a wife and several young children. Was the practice to settle with the widow pre-appraisement or post-appraisement? This was a small estate but included some nice pieces such as a walnut tea table, wine glasses and a bedstead with furnishings? Was it customary to sell everything at a public sale? This must have been painful for the widow to watch neighbors and family snapping up her prized belongings.

I appreciate the kind assistance of this learned group.

Vanessa Crews