Everyone,

I want to inform you of a recent udpate to Records Schedule GS-17 (Law Enforcement Records).  At the March meeting of the Library's Records Oversight Committee, this schedule was update to reflect a change in the following series:

Series 100711    Animal Control Files
This series documents law enforcement's participation in local animal control.
Retain 3 years after end of calendar year then destroy.

Previously, this series had been made defunct, but after several requests from local law enforcement agencies, this series has been revived.  If your local law enforcement handles administrative records for animal control facilities or operations, you can once again use this series and retention.  If your local law enforcement does not provide any animal control operations, you can ignore this series.  All other Animal Control series remain unchanged.

Please contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Tom Wellman

"God's love and beauty are all around us, every day, if only we would take the time to look up and see"
- Matthias

J. Thomas Wellman
Records Analyst
Library of Virginia