Hi Henry,

No Hairstons in the Nowlin letters.  I'm not a Nowlin researcher but I know
a little about them (Matthew Bates Nowlin's daughter, Hopkins's niece,
Elizabeth F. Nowlin, married John Wesley Elam from here at Westview.)  I'm
not familiar with Samuel Nowlin --- I know there was a branch of the family
in Lynchburg but the only one I've heard of was a Green H. Nowlin who was a
tobacco commsion merchant.  I don't know how he was related to Matthew Bates
and Hopkins, but he did business with John W. Elam and I have lots of
correspondence from him in the Elam papers.

kathy