Folks -

A question came up recently regarding the locality copy of contracts
with Nextel for this service.  The inquirer's municipal attorney
believed that the federal government and/or contactor was saying that
the retention period for documentation is eighteen (18) months.

Although this program is funded by the Federal Communications Commission
and operated by a federal Transition Authority, the locality's copy of
the contract once filed is subject to LVA General Schedule 2, "Fiscal
Records" - under Series No. 10159 ("Contracts").  The series description
reads:

"This series documents legal agreements between the locality

and businesses, groups and other organizations. The series

consists of the signed contract and supporting documentation."

The retention for contracts is: "Retain 5 years after contract
expiration or until audit, whichever is longer; then destroy."

If anyone can make a compelling argument for another series or
retention, I'd be pleased to respond.  Otherwise I would suggest that
county, city and town ROs involved with these records use the general
schedule and series suggested above.

For individual questions, please email me directly at

Cheers!

Mark

G. Mark Walsh, C.A.

Records & Information Analyst

Archival & Records Management Services

Library of Virginia

(804) 692-3650

To UNSUBSCRIBE, change options, or subscribe, please see the instructions
at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-rol.html
(If using Netscape, must have version 6.1 or higher to view the above page)