Ginny and others,

Thanks for your continued interest in the Public Records Act legislation
recently before the General Assembly.  HB 209 included the changes that
grew out of the two-year study by the legislative study committee.  SB
461 was an initiative that came out of the Attorney General's Office
during the session.  It is my understanding that the intent of SB 461
was to address identity theft issues.  Several different wordings were
proposed and the strongest discussions of the impact came from the
lobbyists for the Clerk's Association.  The final text of SB 461
literally emerged at the very end of the session.

Lisa Wallmeyer, attorney for the joint subcommittee, has written at
article "Revisiting the Virginia Public Records Act," for the Journal of
Local Government Law (Vol. XVI, no 3, Winter 2006).  Lisa says that the
journal is read by most local government attorneys in Virginia.

A colleague told me today that Megan Rhyne of the Coalition of Open
Government has an article in the January-March, 2005 issue of Virginia
Libraries.  "PRA Workgroups Do the Heavy Lifting: Joint Subcommittee
Brings the PRA in to the Twenty-First Century" gives an excellent
overview of the process used to study and revise the Virginia Public
Records Act.

I checked today and found that SB 461 has not been signed by the
Governor.  The proposed additions to 42.1-86.1 are:

B. Each agency shall ensure that records created after July 1, 2006 and
authorized to be destroyed or discarded in accordance with subsection A,
are destroyed or discarded within six months of the expiration of the
record's retention period in accordance with the provisions of this
chapter. All records previously authorized to be destroyed shall be
destroyed in a timely manner.

2. That the Librarian of Virginia shall report to the chairs of the
Senate Committee on General Laws and Technology and the House Committee
on General Laws on or before October 1 of each year concerning the
destruction of records in accordance with the provisions of this act.

None of us here at the Library have had the opportunity to fully discuss
the implications of the changes to this section.  We would certainly
benefit from your thoughts on this too.  Here are some points that come
immediately to my mind (and this doesn't represent anything but my
thoughts right now).

*        Section B relates to records created after July 1, 2006.  For
the majority of records concerned, the destruction would be in 2009 or
later.

*        The section directs that destruction be within six months of
expiration of the record's retention period.  This only directs what
most of us should be doing with the records anyway.    The original
language proposed that the records be destroyed "in a timely manner."

*        The Librarian is to report on compliance with the act.  I take
this to mean the entire act, not just the sections about disposal of
records.  I see this as a positive step, especially for those of you
concerned with compliance in your agency or locality.

*        As long as a record series in a general or specific schedule is
under review, I would recommend that the six month time line be
suspended until approval of the revised schedule.  Reevaluating and
renegotiating the schedules should be an on-going activity, especially
the general schedules, and they should reflect professional consensus.
If a retention period is out of whack for you, it's probably not helpful
to other colleagues and needs to be changed.

*        I think the intent of SB 461 is to rid offices of records with
lots of personal information in them as soon as possible.  If there is a
way to give such records attention and priority, we are serving our
fellow citizens well.

Megan Rhyne says in her article "I learned something this year that I
didn't know before:  when it come to parsing language, lawyers can't
touch librarians." Or records managers, I suspect.  I'm sure we'll have
more discussions on this.

Conley

Conley L. Edwards
State Archivist