I would like to let everyone know about the process for the review this year of the Virginia Public Records Act. A joint House/Senate Subcommittee was established under HJ6. This subcommittee is composed of the following members:
The Honorable M. Kirkland Cox, patron
The Honorable J. Brandon Bell, Vice Chair
The Honorable Ryan T. McDougle
The Honorable Thomas C. Wright, Jr
The Honorable R. Edward Houck
Rosanna L. Bencoach, State Board of Elections
Frank D. Hargrove, Hanover Circuit Court Clerk
William E. Wilson, LIS Information Services Head
Valerie Jean Mayo, Member of the LVA Library Board.
Robert F. Nawrocki, State Records Administrator

The Subcommittee is responsible for reviewing the Virginia Public Records Act in light of the many issues raised by electronic records. The goal is to modernize the act so that it will be continue to be the foundation dealing with public records into the 21st century.

The subcommittee will establish "working groups" to meet with stakeholders to discuss the VPRA and to make recommendations regarding possible changes to the VPRA. The working group is made up of members of the subcommittee. Lisa Wallmeyer who is the staff attorney to the committee has said that the practice is that
the working group with meet with stakeholders to discuss the issues related to the working groups tasking. The members of the working group are the ones who will make the ultimate decision as to what recommendations are forwarded to the whole subcommittee for discussion and approval.

I would like to create a focus group that would begin working now to identify the issues of the VPRA that we need to address, possible changes and recommendations. I think that this focus group process will help us achieve consensus on the changes that need to be made.

Participation in the focus group in no way will keep you from participating in the discussions of the "working group". If you don't agree with the result of the focus group you can bring your concerns to the "working group". Additionally the meetings of the HJ6 Subcommittee are open to the public and there will be time there for public comment.

Lori Maynard is the Committee Coordinator and she can put you on a notification list so you will be aware of any upcoming meetings. Her e-mail is [log in to unmask].  The Subcommittee will not meet until after the legislative session ends and probably not until after the veto session. Delegate Cox is the one to call for the meeting. It is my understanding that the next meeting will be devoted to issues related to electronic government documents.

I hope this capsule description helps everyone with the process. I would like any suggestions about how to handle the focus group since we have folks from around the state who are interested in working on this process. Everyone may not be able to come to a central location for a meeting. We could do some of the preliminary work via a listserv which I would be happy to set up.  Let me know what you think. Bob

Robert F. Nawrocki CRM
State Records Administrator
Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street