My ggg grandfather, John N. Huffman, served in Company F, 30th Battalion VA
Sharpshooters, the first of my ancestors to be documented in this type of
outfit. Because of this, I have a couple questions. Did a Battalion of
Sharpshooters always accompany the same corresponding Infantry regiment into
battle? Did the soldier initially enlist in an infantry unit, only to be
transferred to a Sharpshooters unit when  his marksmanship became evident?

Please forgive my ignorance, as well as the bombardment of questions. I look
forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters