  From: Mary M. Zashin <[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
  Date: Saturday, February 03, 2001 9:50 AM
  Subject: Re: DANGERFIELD/DAINGERFIELD--VSLA Site

  Elizabeth and list, This is an absolutely marvelous site and resource.  It contains transcriptions of a number of documents and, more uniquely, WPA reports on very many early Virginia homes, cemeteries, etc., often with photographs.  I strongly recommend anyone with early VA ancestors check out this site and look for photos and descriptions of old "family manses."  Thank you so much, Elizabeth!

  At first I couldn't understand how I had failed to find this material given the number of times I've used the LibVa and especially its digital library collection.  Then I realized the only way I could find to access it was the URL provided below.  I couldn't see any way to get to the material (the Virginia Historical Inventory) through the LVA home page or the Digital Library page!  Am I missing something, or is this collection "under construction" and so not generally available?  It made me wonder what other goodies might be hiding at http://eagle.vsla.edu, but when I tried to back into there I got a stern "FORBIDDEN" error notice (?).

  One problem was that a number of times when I tried to click on the image icon I got a "page not found" message.  Another minor one was it was often difficult to print the tiff images without cutting off the side and bottom of the page.  The only way I found to do this was to use the select tool to select the typewritten image, then paste this into a Word document.  This works but can get somewhat tedious.  Is there an easier way?  Again, thanks for this great resource.  Polly Zashin

  Subject: Dangerfield/Daingerfield