When I was curating an exhibit on Mary Wingfield Scott's Richmond - Then and Now several years ago, a photo surfaced from someone stating it was Miss Scott in her early twenties or late teens.
It had Mary Wingfield Scott hand written on the back of it, sure enough, but because I had images of her from family albums going back to her early childhood to adulthood, it was obvious it was not an image of Miss Scott.
The museum where I was volunteering at the time insisted it was Miss Scott, but it has always been my thought that it was an image of a friend (like a graduation portrait) FOR Miss Scott.
Does anyone have a similar story?
Alyson L. Taylor-White
804-920-2783