I watched the Jamestown special on PBS last night and it was terrific – look
for the reruns. The archaeology and the historical research are amazing. I
had no idea that so many thousands of artifacts had been turned up and that
they reveal so much. The show explores several theories that try to explain
the appalling death rate among the first colonists.  We find out how hard it
is to make sense of history even when you have a relatively well-documented
site to work with.

Henry Wiencek
Charlottesville