A colleague asks:

"After 1860, could you avoid paying for a marriage license by having the
banns called (assuming your church called banns)?  I can't say that I've
ever seen the question addressed, but my impression is that Virginia
REQUIRED a license once they quit doing the bonds."

My initial reaction was that publishing/crying the banns was quite
separate from the civil requirements for marriage (license/marriage
bonds/or what-have-you), but I simply don't know. Any thoughts?

Mike Poston
Rockville, Maryland