Here is a link. It might give one the slightest of flavor of how and why such an audacious idea as secession becomes believable when measured against the weighty issues that confronted 1861 Virginia. I mean: gee this is 21st Century; and people with superior educations are out there for this! Again, I'm not arguing that secession is obtainable. It remains a viable tool for advancing a position of political persuasion -- short of violent revolution - certainly as dangerous as it gets for an established government as aptly demonstrated by the Lincoln's remedy -- should the people possess the means to get angry upon receiving a "no" answer.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2007/06/03/in_vermont_nascent_secession_movement_gains_traction/