From what I've read of later English "convictions", during the Rev.
War period and Australian colonization, the laws there were horrid.
You could be transported to Australia for stealing a handkerchief or
a crust of bread. I read of one boy who ended up being put on a ship
for America after nearly everyone in his family had died of hunger,
they were lucky if they could scrounge one potato to feed the family
for a day. One by one, they all died, except his father, who put him
on a ship. I guess you were supposed to just die quietly and, heaven
forbid, not upset that class structure or annoy them in any way.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone