Lonny, would this be the book you remember?  (Library of Congress
record data below.)

If not, if you use the Basic Search page of the Library of Congress
catalog (http://catalog.loc.gov), and do a "Command Keyword" search on
the following string--

forts AND "french and indian"

--you should find a couple of other titles that might fit the bill.

Best--

--Jurretta Heckscher

Personal Name:
  Hamilton, Edward Pierce.
Main Title:
  The French and Indian Wars; the story of battles and forts in the
wilderness.
Edition Information:
  [1st ed.]
Published/Created:
  Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, 1962.
  xii, 318 p. illus., maps (part col.) 24 cm.
Subjects:
  United States--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
United States--History, Military--To 1900.
Series:
  Mainstream of America series
LC Classification:
  E195 .H23