Hi. Can anyone on the list tell me anything about, or where I can find anything about, the Martinsville Seven? In his essay on the Civil Rights Congress in Birnbaum and Taylor, eds. Civil Rights Since 1787: A Reader on the Black Struggle Gerald Horne writes: "In the early 1950s [the CRC] led 'Freedom Rides' to Virginia to save the Martinsville Seven." I am working on my dissertation on the Freedom Rides and at least want to be able to mention this incident as an antecedent if it is relevent. You can apply on list or you can write to me off list at [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance!

Derek Catsam

Contemporary History Institute
Brown House