I believe "fiasco" refers to the widespread conclusion, based on the findings of the
initial Jefferson DNA study (as reported in 'Nature', 1998), that TJ sired one or
more of Sally Hemings' children.  That conclusion simply doesn't meet common
scientific standard, or as we say in Texas, that dog won't hunt.  No matter how
interesting, whether it/they be pro or con, the circumstantial evidence, the oral
histories, the informed opinions, et al., do not change that fact. These are subjective
factors - open to interpretation.  The DNA is not, and the only valid conclusions that
can be drawn from it are that Eston Hemings' lineal descendants have the same
Y chromosome as the descendants of Thomas Jefferson's uncle, and that Y
chromosome is not found in the lineal descendants of Thomas Woodson.

Despite the truths of the matter, the popular literature on Jefferson and/or Hemings is
increasingly dominated by works founded on the "fact" that Jefferson was the father
of one/all of Hemings' children - including Thomas Woodson.  The mere fact of their
publication may to some be powerful encouragement to accept myth and legend as
indisputable reality. Any publication which interdicts that process should be most welcome.

Rgds.,
Judy Baugh

I am sure we all look forward to the report from the "'Blue Ribbon Commission'" of
"'volunteer...unbiased'"
experts.  But precisely what "fiasco" is referenced in this message?

Harold S. Forsythe
History & Black Studies
Fairfield University