VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2014

Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2014 13:34:46 -0500
I checked the service record of Private Williams (he went by Gibson Williams) for you. It was a large file going from his enlistment until late 1864 when he was a hospital orderly in Richmond. He was wounded and captured at the battle of Antietam and held at Ft. McHenry, Maryland for a short time until paroled and released on 13 October 1862. He was initially listed as killed. I am sure you have seen all this on his record. No mention of Ft. Monroe. If you do not have copies of his service records let me know and I will make copies for you. Here is what is said about him in  Volume III of the series NORTH CAROLINA TROOPS, 1861-1865, A ROSTER:

WILLIAMS, GIBSON, Private
	Resided in New Hanover County where he enlisted at age 27, June 20, 1861, for the war. Wounded and captured at Sharpsburg, Maryland, September 17, 1862. Paroled at Sharpsburg on September 27, 1862, and exchanged at Aiken's Landing, James River, Virginia, November 10, 1862. Admitted to hospital at Richmond, Virginia, and furloughed on November 14, 1862, for 30 days. Reported as absent on furlough in North Carolina on company muster rolls from November, 1862, through December, 1864.

Not sure if any of this is new to you, but hope it helps.

Regards,

Knox Martin
SCV Tennessee Division Genealogist