VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2010

From:
Eric Grundset <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:24:30 EST
There are extremely few marriage records for Albemarle County prior to
1780. At some point prior to the Revolution, there was apparently a courthouse
fire, and some early records were lost. In addition, during the Revolution
when  Tarleton headed to Charlottesville in an attempt to capture Thomas
Jefferson,  the surviving records in the courthouse were evacuated. There is a
list that  shows what was saved from the British in that evacuation, and the
list matches  almost exactly the surviving court record books for the
period 1745-1781 that we  still have today. Marriage records are not in the list,
so either they were  already destroyed earlier or were left behind for the
sake of saving the major  record books. I'm working on a small article on
this very topic because one of  my ancestors in Albemarle was a deputy sheriff
during the Tarleton Raid and the  list is in a surviving record book that
he kept.

It is extremely unlikely that many Albemarle marriages would be recorded in
 another county after 1745 unless the couple requested it for some reason
or for  some other special reason. Marriages were usually recorded in the
county of  residence (we've often heard residence of the bride, but I wonder
about that  some times). Just because Albemarle was formed from Goochland
doesn't mean  anything for subsequent record keeping for Albemarle residents
unless a couple  "went home" to one of their families to be married.

Searching neighboring counties is, of course, always a thing to do, but
marriages would not automatically be recorded in them. I'm afraid there just
isn't any hope of finding many pre-1780 Albemarle County records.

Eric Grundset
Burke, Virginia