VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2008

From:
Quan Pruitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Quan Pruitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:37:21 -0500
Tom,

Seeing the orginal copy helps but since we can not is it possible that fauksokutters two words rolled together and he was not sure of the spelling.  I searched the word as one word then broke it down to fau co kutter.  Kutter is a knife or sword.  I tried Sokutters and came up with supply camps.

Then thought about a friend from New Orleans and how she pronounce words.  So if you break it up to Faukso Kutters it sounds like Fosters Cutters.  Maybe refering to a army camp 50 miles away of a volunteer regiment under General Foster.  I'm going to assume that he enlisted in the confederate army since he was from TN, moved to New Orleans a few years before the war started that he enlisted in New Orleans.

Could it be that he is refering to a union camp 50 miles away as Fosters Cutters.    My first choice is Union General John Gray Foster - see below.  Both Generals listed are Union officers.

US Civil War Generals

http://sinsite.utk.edu/civil-war/generals.html<http://sinsite.utk.edu/civil-war/generals.html>

Name FOSTER, John Gray
Born May 27 1823, Whitefield NH
Died September 2 1874, Nashua NH
Pre-War Profession Graduated West Point 1846, engineer duty in Mexican war, engineering service, instructor at West Point.
War Service Was present at Fort Sumter, October 1861 appointed Brig. Gen. of Volunteers, operations in North Carolina, July 1862 promoted Maj. Gen. of Volunteers, commanded Dept. of North Carolina, Knoxville, commanded Army of the Ohio, commanded Dept. of the South, Savannah, Charleston, commanded in Florida.
Brevet Promotions Brig. Gen. U.S.A. March 13 1865, Maj. Gen. U.S.A. March 13 1865.
Post War Career Army service in survey and construction, expert in underwater demolition.
Notes
Further reading
Noyes, Frank G Biographical sketch of major-general John G. Foster, son of New Hampshire, soldier of the Republic 18??

Name FOSTER, Robert Sanford
Born January 27 1834, Vernon IN
Died March 3 1903, Indianapolis IN
Pre-War Profession Tinner.
War Service April 1861 Capt. of 11th Indiana, Maj. in 13th Indiana, Rich Mountain, Lt. Col., April 1862 Col., Shenandoah Valley campaign, Peninsula campaign, Suffolk, June 1863 appointed Brig. Gen. of Volunteers, Charleston, served in Florida, commanded 2nd Divn/XXIV Corps at Petersburg, Fort Gregg.
Brevet Promotions Maj. Gen. U.S.V. March 13 1865.
Post War Career City treasurer, US marshal, president of the city board of trade.
Notes

Just a thought,

Quan