VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2001

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"Research and writing about Virginia genealogy and family history." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:29:15 -0500
In an earlier message Jonathan Taylor wrote:

 I was wondering if anyone has been successful at approaching descendants of
their ancestor's "last slave owner" for additional (non-public) information.
If so, what is the best way to approach them?

Almost everyone on my road is descended from slaves on the plantation that
my husband and I now own.  Using original documents dating from the very
early 19th century given to me by the family, along with censuses, marriage,
and other records, I am slowly piecing together the history of the
plantation and the people --- black and white --- who lived here.  My
neighbors have been wonderful, providing me with tons of oral history, much
of which I've been able to confirm in the documents.  One lady in
particular, who is a very spry 95, is thrilled with the research I'm doing.
She can't believe that I know about all her long dead kin.  She's told me
many fascinating things and in turn I've told her a lot about her family she
didn't know.  Currently, my husband and I are working with local high school
students clearing out and diagramming the slave cemetery on the property.
The kids are also doing oral histories with our neighbors.  Everyone is
thrilled.

The point of all of this is, so far all of the descendants of slaves from
this plantation I have approached have been very open and sharing.  A few
have been slightly taken aback at first when I ask them who their parents
are, but then they realize why I'm asking and they get very interested.  No
one, especially not a white woman, has ever shown any interest in their
history.  These people are still living on land their forebearers slaved on,
yet they have a much more realistic view of what happened and how far
they've come than many blacks I've known in the big cities.  They have all
become very good friends and I am very proud to know them.  I have also
posted much information on-line and established terrific e-mail
relationships with many "family members" living out of state.

Given, I am a Yankee from Maryland --- my ancestors all immigrated to the US
in the late 19th century --- so perhaps it is easier for me to ask the
questions and them to answer, but I firmly believe if you want to know
something just ask.  The most anyone can do is refuse to answer.  I pose
this question to all the "white" researchers:  would you be offended if
someone asked you about your family because they were really interested?
No?  Then why would a "black" person be offended.  If everyone stopped
walking on eggshells and were a lot more open and honest the world would be
a happier place.

Kathy Liston