VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:10:10 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/2003 2:03:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the tracing our male lines that we tend
> to set aside those
> ladies who  married into our male lines.

       Often the female line leads to very interesting ancestors as well as
helping to clear up relationships.  Example; I thought that, because my
grandfather had married a girl from another part of the state, he had broken the
familiar Virginia "marry your cousin" tradition.   When I studied my grandfather's
mother, I discovered she and my grandmother shared the same ancestor.  My
grandfather had married his cousin afterall.

       I wish the court records included more female activity rather than the
tradition of listing all property in the males name.  That would make it
easier for us.

Bill Stribling