VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:48:04 -0400
I wonder if this happened more than a few times. When starting my research I came across two members of my grandads family that I had never heard of. One was named Robert and the other Adolpus Elias. Robert had the same birth date as my grandfather Elias. I thought he must of had a twin that died shortly after birth except I could not find my grandfather Elias' birth record. Then I found out that Adolphus Elias had the same birth date as my great uncle Adolphus Theodore. After speaking with an older sister of the two she told me that Adolphus was the first boy born and her parents had named him after both grandfathers, ( one grandfather being Adolphus Theodore and the other being Elias). After about a year another son was born and they first named him Robert, sometime shortly after they decided to name one son after one grandfather and the other son after the other. So they changed Adolphus Elias' name to Adolphus Theodore and the other, Robert to Elias. If my great aunt had not been alive to tell us the story we would have never known, my great uncle didn't even know the story that his name had been changed.

Stan