VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
David Oakes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Oakes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:11:31 -0800
Hi,

I've been reading through the lists of loyalty oaths for Henry Co., VA
(published in the VA Historical Magazine, beginning in Vol. IX) & have a
question.

Was there a minimum age at which the loyalty oath requirement kicked in?

It would seem logical that a guy would have been of legal age, i.e. 21. But,
I'm wary of making any assumptions about this & one of the guys I'm looking
at was probably closer to 18, based on a census record that exists for his
family.

Thanks!

C.Etter