VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
jwterry99 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jwterry99 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:51:20 -0600
I greatly appreciate the suggestions I got on my previous posting on the TERRYs.  I have another, probably tougher, brick wall with my Mother's liine, the Moseleys.
    There are several probable brothers, Moseley that were in Brunswick County beginniing in the early 1730s.  They have neighbors that came from Isle of Wight County and their own connections with Isle of Wight County people.  There are at least 3 earlier Moseleys that I have been able to find that were in the Surry Co./Isle of Wight Co area beginning in the 1650s.  There was a Robert and (probably) two different William Moseleys.  The Robert and a William lived within a few miles of each other in the 1650s.  One William was mentioned as being transported (in a land grant) to Virginia by 1701 by an Arthur Allen.  Allen had thousands of acres of land in the Surry/Isle of Wight area.  Then in 1731, a John Moseley was living in Isle of Wight.  I hypothesize he is an older brother (or even the father) to Benjamin.  This John moved to Brunswick County in 1740 and had a neighbor there that lived next to him in Isle of Wight.  I am in the process of researching all the source material listed in PERSI, World Cat, LDS and other places to find more clues.
    Sorry for this long e-mail.  I have a lot of facts on the early Moseleys but I can't connect them to the early generations!  DNA has proven that I am not related to the Rappahannock Moseleys.
    I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions/information.
Thanks,
Jim Terry