VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:06:17 -0400
While it is only part of the solution, I wish that more people would have a
man....with the surname of interest....take the DNA test.  DNA has already
shown that some "approved" DAR lineages are "flat wrong," and many such
other "myths" have also been "busted" by this technology.  It is not an "end
all/be all answer," but to not take advantage of it, where such a male with
the correct surname can be found, is a huge omission in most cases.  It
amazes me that people will spend thousand of hours (and who knows how much
money?) researching in courthouses and libraries (and Ancestry.com) for
years and years, but they won't spend a few minutes and $150 for a 37 marker
DNA test.

My own DNA test confirmed that my Davidson family in Cumberland Co.,  VA was
part of the same Davidson family as the one in Buckingham Co., VA....and
that helped me to "trace" the overall family back to James City Co., VA by
at least the 1680s.  I also learned that I have a "Viking heritage" versus
the more common "Celtic heritage" for my surname.  I never could find
anything in "conventional documentation" that proved a "connection" between
the families in those two counties in VA.

My mother's family had even more interesting results.  Her male cousin with
the surname of "Brown" took the DNA test, and we found that he was actually
a "blood Smith" versus a "blood Brown."  Since my maternal gg-grandfather
was named Smith W. Brown, I guess that we should not have been too surprised
by that result....but nothing other than the DNA test would have ever shown
this.  My "biological maternal Smith family" has been in VA since at least
the 1650s, and I am proud to be a member of that family (and I am happy to
finally know the truth....that only DNA testing could have provided).

In closing, when I get frustrated with all of the bad data that is "out
there," I remind myself that it is "just genealogy."  Compared to what is
going on in the world these days (like in Japan), trying to prove who my
gggggggg-grandfather was seems far less critical.

Bill Davidson