VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2012

From:
"Tarter, Brent (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2012 13:43:58 +0000
The Personal Property Tax returns for nearly all of Virginia's cities and counties for 1815 are in the Library of Virginia in Richmond, and they have all been microfilmed and can be borrowed on Interlibrary Loan.

The state government put thousands of militiamen into the field during the War of 1812 to supplement the small U.S. Army, and the state had to supply them, pay for arms, ammunition, horses, wagons, and everything else and then hope for reimbursement from the Feds later. That's why the one great need for lots of revenue.

To pay the expenses of the war, the state imposed a very long list of taxes on items of personal property that one year, alone. It is by far the best way to get a sense of how many families had items of personal property subject to the tax. Many of the items taxed were probably beyond the ability of poor people to acquire.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Please visit the Library of Virginia's Web site at http:/www.lva.virginia.gov